Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Canon EOS digital rebel XTi aka EOS 400D



EOS digital rebel XTiI just bought a new camera and I’d thought to share my opinion with you guys to help you decide what you want and when.


I always get a lot of help from sites like this in deciding if I want to buy the item of my desires :)


So, I just bought the Canon EOS Rebel XTi or the Canon EOS 400d, why?


Well, I had an point and shoot digital camera, also one of the higher ranking ones in the commercial market, the Canon Powershot G3, this was a very satisfying camera until I got to the limits of the zoom and focus system. I’m the kind of guy that walks and Cycles around with the camera in the back of his bag and stops to shoot nice pics anywhere. Now is the range and flexibility of a Powershot G series pretty big but its still a point and shoot machine, no flexibility with lenses at all. so if you want to get into photography a little bit more, you have to move up in the world of camera’s… Towards a digital SLR camera for one. Why? to get more out of what I see and want to keep for remembering without trying to remember it ;)


So, i did some research and one of the main things that came out with my asking around is:


When you go for a digital camera and especially a DSLR camera you need lenses, so what manufacturers bring good quality, a wide variety of lenses, and since I’m not a pro, also within the margins of my own wallet? Well, there are a few big DSLR manufacturers, most known are Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Fuji, Sony etc. They all have roughly the same expertise and the same specs to make choosing quite hard for a guy who doesn’t know everything about camera’s. My main goal is the impact on my wallet in the quality/price ratio :) so I went looking for good lenses/objectives that didn’t have a lot of economical consequences .

So what is important to know? Well for instance, what kind of Lenses you can use, a DSLR camera comes with or without a objective. If you buy one with a objective like I did, you have a starters kit, a fairly good lens that’s good for basic use. If you want to expand or specialize in depth like for instance portrait photo’s you need a different one and that’s where I want to get to, cause not all big names give you all the choice you’d want. New camera’s bring new lenses to be bought and “new”means more expensive than “older or proven” so one of the main issues is, can my camera use all the lenses available or is he limited to a special line of lenses? So first shift in what camera to buy is in the availability of lenses and of the quality. So what producers have a lot of objectives and are well known for their quality/price ratio? Well, Canon for one, it has a lot of DSLR objectives and old and new models fit on the Rebel XTi, in quality/price ratio canon objectives win it from Nikon at this moment. Especially since the competing model from Nikon the D40x is only fully capable with the new objectives and looses compatibility with older objectives. Which means bigger investments for the same results.


So I went for the Digital Rebel XTi because its compatibility with objectives is bigger than for example Nikon with the same quality/prices ratio DSLR.


The other most important fact is if you like the feel of the camera, does it fit in your hand? Some say that the EOS Digital rebel XTi is just to small for people with big hands, but that’s something you have to see for yourself.


Always go for a tryout before you buy, even if everyone online is yelling that this is the one to buy, go for a look before you buy. Talk with the people in the store, go to a few specialized camera stores and ask the people there for feedback, even ask for availability for objectives and for possibilities to buy them in a all in one deal.



No comments: