Thursday, November 29, 2007

Reply to Speedlite 430EX vs Popup Flash - Basic Comparison Shots



Daniel Greene posted a reply:

Depending on the length and width of the lens, the difference can be more dramatic. With big lenses like the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, you need an external flash to get over the "hump" of the lens so you don't see the shadow of the lens at the bottom of the photo.



You can see the convex curved shadow at the bottom of the frame in the photo below, even though I used a LumiQuest SoftScreen to soften the shadow (and I cropped some of the bottom of the photo):



Our Homemade Pumpkin Pie



I find an external Speedlite to be essential whenever I'm using the larger lenses; it's just a matter of whether or not I'm willing to carry the extra weight of both the heavy lens and the heavy Speedlite 430EX.

No comments: