Monday, November 26, 2007

Reply to Concerned about newer 50mm f/1.4 lenses



jamesrdoe posted a reply:

Well I don't know what the latest f1.4 is like but I don't imagine it's any worse than my AF version from around 1990 that's made in Japan. Your quality of shots won't suffer it's mainly the build quality and that reviewer is probably comparing to the 1980's AIS version which is a solid piece of metal. The f1.8 is supposed to have worse build quality than the f1.4 and no one really seems to care. They are really happy with the optics.


If you're worried about it get the f1.8 because it's much cheaper and 95% as good. The reason the price has dropped is probably because of the American dollar not because the lens is bad. I think the 50mm has been made in China for at least a few years, I don't think it's anything new.

No comments: