Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Reply to Digital age and lens buying compulsion?



iomarch posted a reply:

We hear about these shopping sprees more now that we're connected to more people online than we were before. I'm sure there were many lens gulpers before, but it was less likely your average hobbyist would know one. Now we can see all those "I bought 49304 lenses" posts on these forums and it makes us want a little too...



I spent a lot of time with advanced point and shoot so that by the time I was ready for SLR, I already knew exactly what I wanted and didn't want, so why not get everything in a short period of time? I don't think buying a lot of lenses is pure consumerism unless you're doing it not from experience or research but to keep up with the Jonses.



It's always bothered me that beginners are adviced to start with the kit lens. I don't think it's always a good idea. If the kit lens disappoints, then it could well be the end of their attempt to learn photography, or they'll just have to buy another better lens and sit on a kit lens that gathers dust and has no resale value. If you're really so basic that you'd benefit from using the kit lens, why not just start with an advanced point and shoot you can get for half the price? By the time you're through with the p&s, you'll have learned that no one lens can do it all...

No comments: