Saturday, October 27, 2007

Canon SD850 is a smart buy



Canon SD850


My trusty old Canon Powershot A85 wasn’t functioning the way it used to, so I knew it was time to buy a new point and shoot. I wanted to stay within the Canon family and after some research, I decided to buy the SD850.


What a great purchase! The camera was listed at $308 online at Circuit City. The sticker price at the store was about $50 more so I was glad I checked online first. The store clerk matched the online price.


At 8 megapixels, the SD850 packs as much wallop as the average user will need. It delivers clear and crisp pictures. I was happy with the amount of manual control the camera offers as well–play with the ISO in instances of low light and you’ll get pleasant results. I’ve found the Macro feature to be useful as well.

Probably the biggest selling point for me was the fact that the SD850 is one of the few cameras that offers a view finder window as well as an LCD screen. It’s one of my annoyances that new point and shoot digital cameras have gotten rid of the viewfinder to expand the LCD screen. Do we really need the extra LCD space? What happens in bright light when you can’t see the LCD screen? I also find it easier to frame shots when I do it the old fashioned way through the viewfinder.


The SD850 is light-weight, slim and sleek. It’s one of the better camera purchases I’ve made, and it has my highest recommendations.

No comments: