Saturday, October 27, 2007

Reply to lens dilemma - wide angle lens? travel lens?



neoporcupine posted a reply:

The Sigma 17-70mm is an awesome lens, I am constantly surprised how good the images from this lens are. An excellent walk around lens that can take some great pseudo macro shots. You will need to use it a fair bit before you go to know its weaknesses - like you should with any lens.



www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1770_2845/index.htm



VERY roughly:

.. avoid f/2.8 at 17mm; f/8 is best

at 24mm-40mm f5.6 is best

and whatever you want at 70mm



I would just take this lens ... and maybe the 50mm coz it is small and oh so nice. The zoom is great but too much extra to lug around for those few shots when you want it. Unless you're into birds.



I'm an Aussie too, and you should NOT be paying AUD$650 for the lens. After using my haggling skills I managed to get PhotoContinental down to AUD$420. They're not the cheapest place in town, so I am sure you can get it from elsewhere for a similar price.

No comments: